Photo: Getty Images/Thomas Barwick
It's no surprise that Americans are ready to get out of their houses and get on a vacation. But what do you do in the COVID-19 filled summer? Some people are making plans to stay closer to home this year.
A new poll finds:
- 73% of Americans say they plan on going vacation this summer.
- 47% plan to travel domestically this summer, although 5% say they would travel outside the U.S.
- 32% are planning trips to visit family and friends.
- 22% are planning a beach vacation.
- 15% will get away to a quiet countryside.
One thing people aren’t planning is big trips.
- 34% of folks are limiting their summer travel to three or four day trips.
- 35% will be going away for a week.
- Many will limit who they travel with, with 24% traveling with only one other person, although 18% say they’ll travel with four or five.
Not surprisingly, most Americans have no intentions of getting in a plane right now.
- 72% of folks will be driving to their vacation destination with their own car, while 9% would be renting one.
- Only 23% of folks plan to take a trip by plane.
As for where they are staying
- 46% plan to stay in a hotel
- 33% are booking a private rental, which is a 17% increase from last year.
- 15% plan to go camping.
So what are your plans for a summer vacation? Tent in the back yard?